‘Pele’ rushed to hospital in Brazil
Brazilian football legend Edson Arantes do Nascimento, more commonly known as ‘Pele’, was taken to the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo, Brazil by his wife Marcia Aoki and a caretaker on Tuesday.
It is reported that he was suffering from swelling all over his body.
ESPN Brazil reported that doctors had diagnosed the 82-year-old with decompensated heart failure.
The sporting icon – who is the only player to win three FIFA World Cups – is to undergo a range of tests for a more in-depth assessment of his health problems.
Pele's daughter Kely Nascimento said on social media that there was "no surprise or emergency" involved.
She wrote: "Lots of alarm in the media today concerning my dad's health. He is in the hospital regulating medication. There is no emergency or new dire prediction. I will be there for New Years and promise to post some pictures."
Pele has been battling colon cancer, but it is thought that the treatment he has been having has not proved successful.
He had a tumour removed from his colon in September 2021 and has since been in and out of hospital on a regular basis.
Pele had previously confirmed on his Instagram account that he was "having small chemotherapy sessions" with the post uploaded after his final treatment in 2021.
The football icon said that every little victory is a reason to celebrate, along with an accompanying picture of him looking delighted with his progress.
“Don't worry, I'm just getting ready for the holiday season!” he said.
We want to hear from you! Email us at email@example.com and follow @thejamaicastar on Instagram and on Twitter @JamaicaStar and on Facebook: @TheJamaicaStar, or on Whatsapp @ 876-550-2506.